This article from AdAge has some interesting points about location-based services. Forrester’s recent survey concludes that marketers should wait before hopping on the location-based app bandwagon because only 4% of online adults have ever used such location-based mobile apps. In my own (not so scientific) study, 80% of my friends are aware and/or use location-based apps (I’m working on the other 20%).
This phenomenon is similar to when Twitter started; the general population didn’t think it would be a success or that it could be used successfully for marketing purposes. Now, over 5 years later, a majority of brands are on Twitter, and more are signing up. Would the Old Spice ads be as successful without the influence of Twitter? I don’t think so. So, with these location-based services in their infancy now, its only a matter of time before they are as much an everyday term as SWOT analysis, brand integration, etc.
The opportunity to market and connect with your consumer through these services is truly unlimited and its exciting to see how the world of marketing is constantly changing and adapting, and the gap between brand and consumer gets smaller and smaller as brands become more socially available, and consumers become more socially active.
What are your thoughts? Do you think that foursquare, gowalla, etc. are just fads or have some foundation to last?