Happy Tuesday! This week is Social Media Week, and I am excited to be attending some events here in SF. If you are in a city where Social Media Week is happening, check out the schedule. Sessions are still open!
Here’s what caught my eye this morning:
1. Lawrence Wright’s gripping piece on Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology is out in The New Yorker and it is intense. I warn you, it is a 26-page article, but well worth the time and read. Read the full article here. NYMag has also consolidated some of the more creepy anecdotes here: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/paul_haggis_scientology.html
2. Speaking of community re-design, Bjarke Ingels wants to re-invent the rectangular-shaped apartment building into pyramid shapes. Odd as it might sound, his thought process makes sense. http://nymag.com/arts/architecture/features/71213/
3. Have a college bound child, or know someone applying? A new app, launching today, will predict whether or not you will get admission into the college of your choice. Must we leave nothing to chance? http://mashable.com/2011/02/08/admission-splash/
4. Check out Google’s doodle today, in honor of Jules Verne: http://www.google.com
5. Didn’t like the Groupon Super Bowl ad? Neither did I, and apparently, a lot of other people. Read Groupon’s response, which, basically blames Crispin + Porter: http://mashable.com/2011/02/07/groupon-super-bowl-ad-response/
6. U.S. Internet users received over 4.9 trillion ads in 2010. Funny, I can’t remember one. Check out the whitepaper from comScore here: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Presentations_Whitepapers/2011/2010_US_Digital_Year_in_Review
7. Ever wonder which Disney princess you are? Your astrology sign tells you so: http://stacykfuller.com/post/3151949161
8. Do you have unused Groupons, Living Social deals, DealOn deals, etc.? Check out the growth of the secondary market for these daily deals: http://mashable.com/2011/02/08/daily-deals-secondary-market/
9. A popular locksmith in West Village in New York has taken design to a whole new level. The entire facade of the storefront is literally made up of thousands of keys. This is so cool! http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=3534
10. Finally, an inside look at the Secret Service, courtesy of The Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/01/inside-the-secret-service/8390/
That’s all from me today. Submissions to email@example.com.