Happy Friday! Looking forward to a relaxing weekend, no alarms, no public transportation. 28 days to go!
Here’s what caught my eye this morning:
1. Unemployment numbers are out, and the jobless rate is back up to 9.8%, with the economy adding only 39,000 jobs in November. The actual number is way off from the forecast (150,000 jobs). The market will not be happy today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/business/economy/04jobs.html?_r=1
2. LivingSocial gets a $175 million investment from Amazon. Its total valuation is still rumored to be one-sixth of Groupon’s, but it seems they are working on a slightly different model. LivingSocial acquired adventure company Urban Escapes, and and as added new verticals for families, college students, and “LivingSocial Escapes”. Having Amazon as a backer could be interesting for the local commerce market: http://www.fastcompany.com/1707138/groupon-competitor-livingsocial-gets-175-million-from-amazon
3. The state of Arizona has CUT funding for transplant patients. Really!? This is where it financially and ethically makes sense to cut the budget? Arizona is the only state to have actually eliminated some transplants, instead of just reducing the budget, which other states have done: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/us/03transplant.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a3
4. Mariano Rivera looks to be set for a 2 year, $30 million contract with the Yankees. Now, if only we could get some good news about Jeter, we could all breathe a little easier: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5877705&campaign=rss&source=NEWYORKHeadlines
5. Are you as addicted to “Words with Friends” as I am? Zynga just bought Newtoy, which makes this crazy, addictive game: http://mashable.com/2010/12/02/zynga-acquires-newtoy/
6. Watch Michael Scott panic when he finds out China may overtake the U.S. as the #1 world superpower. Hysterical: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/03/michael-scott-china_n_791542.html
7. iPhone lose battery life mid-way through the day? Mophie to the rescue. The Mophie Juice Pack gives your iPhone about 8 hours additional talk time, 7 hours internet browsing, and more. It also doubles as a case, but is it worth $100? http://mashable.com/2010/12/03/mophie-juice-pack-plus/
8. Organize your music, videos, photos in one media library with Libox. Download the iPad or iPhone app, and Libox creates a library of what’s on your computer (whether its in iTunes or not). Could be interesting, but also seems like a bit of an iTunes duplicate: http://mashable.com/2010/12/02/libox-ipad-app/
9. BlackBerry looks to enter the 21st century in smartphone design. RIM recently acquired TAT (The Astonishing Tribe), an interface and design company. It’ll be interesting to see what the future of BlackBerry will be: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/blackberry-aims-for-a-better-look/
10. Watch Conan wear jeggings. No comments necessary: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/03/conan-jeggings_n_791512.html
That’s all from me today. Suggestions and submissions in the comments!