29 days to go! and happy second night of Hanukkah! A ton of randomness swirling around the virtual newsroom today.
Here’s what caught my eye:
1. Russia and Qatar have been chosen as the host countries for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Brazil, as we all know, is hosting the next World Cup: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/sports/soccer/03worldcup.html?_r=1&emc=na
2. Quentin Tarantino gets roasted by the Friars Club. I’d love to attend this someday: http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/tarantino-gets-the-friars-club-treatment/?src=twt&twt=nytimes
3. Running a Secret Santa this year? Elfster can help! http://netted.net/2009/12/15/gifted-program/?utm_content=awesm-site&utm_medium=nttd.co-copypaste&utm_source=twitter.com#toggled
4. IAC is all over the news today. Liberty Media exchanged its entire equity stake for assets/cash, while Barry Diller stepped down as CEO:http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/02/liberty-exchanges-iac-stake-for-evite-gifts-com-and-220-million-in-cash/
5. A wildlife bridge. This is an interesting concept; an NYC-based landscape design firm has come up with an idea of a bridge over highways that essentially emulates the forest (complete with trees, shrubs, etc.) to “trick” animals into thinking the bridge is just an extension of the forest. Thus, less road killings. I’m not sure how I feel about this one. Thoughts? http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662800/can-a-wildlife-bridge-fix-americas-8-billion-roadkill-problem
6. Gowalla now integrates with Facebook Places and Foursquare. Huh? http://mashable.com/2010/12/02/gowalla-3-foursquare/
7. Watch Jon Stewart present Lame Duck Soup: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/02/stewart-lame-duck_n_790915.html
8. Why the 90′s rocked (according to Twitter): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/02/why-the-90s-rocked_n_790625.html#s196067
9. Getting into the Christmas spirit. The one great thing about growing up in the suburbs is the crazy Christmas lighting decorations. Check out these great video (its an oldie, but goodie) of over 100 crazy Christmas light displays. Turn up your speakers: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/30/100-christmas-lights-2-minutes_n_790097.html
10. Finally, snow is coming! Well, at least to Buffalo. 2 feet! I am jealous: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/world/breakingnews/nys-thruway-near-buffalo-closed-due-to-snow-hundreds-of-motorists-stranded-111189579.html
That’s all from me today. Submissions and suggestions in the comments!
Till tomorrow -