Happy Valentine’s Day! I promise not to be too cheesy in today’s post, which covers interesting stats on Valentine’s Day, an ode to NYC, Mercedes-Benz goes interactive, Starry Night comes to life, iPad 3 rumors, and much more. Read on!
1. Infographic fun. It wouldn’t be Valentine’s Day without an appropriate infographic. Here’s a great one on the history of this lovely day; did you know that 8 billion candy hearts are sold each year around the holiday, and the Japanese have “Black Day”, where single people mourn their singlehood by eating black noodles? Seriously. [Visual.ly]
2. As today is about love, here is an ode to the city I love: a fantastic time-lapse video of NYC. [Vimeo]
3. Check out the world’s most romantic art – my favorite is The Meeting Place at St. Pancras train station in London. What’s yours? [FlavorPill]
4. iPad 3, here we come. WSJ reports that the iPad 3 will run on AT&T and Verizon’s 4G LTE networks. No reports on whether T-Mobile and/or Sprint will carry the new iPad, though. [Business Insider]
5. Your fridge is ruining your food. A new project, called Save Food From the Refrigerator, takes into account the chemistry of how fruits and vegetables act, and uses that to create ideal storage conditions. Did you know you can test the freshness of an egg by placing it in a glass of water? If it sinks, it’s fresh. [FastCoCreate]
6. Domino’s is really popular in India. They took the best of Domino’s (the brand, home delivery) and tailored it to India’s cultural and social needs (Spice Mix, veggie friendly pizza). They might be giving McDonald’s McAloo Tikki a run for its money. [Getting More Awesome]
7. Check out Google’s Valentine’s Day Doodle video. [YouTube]
8. Mercedes-Benz has an awesome example of interactive advertising. Odd brand fit right? I thought so too, but WallDecaux put together this outdoor campaign that used owners’ actual car keys to ignite the interaction (pun intended). Check out the video. I’d love to see the numbers on how much interaction this campaign garnered. [FastCoCreate]
9. Watch Van Gogh’s Starry Night come to life in this incredible animation. This is really amazing. [The Next Web]
10. Twelve hand-written love letters, from Michael Jordan to Ludwig Van Beethoven. Love these! [FastCoDesign]
That’s all from me today! Submissions and comments below.
And boys, don’t forget the flowers.