Here’s what caught my eye today:
1. Twitter is launching a music app today. While there are still a ton of rumors going around, the latest is that the launch has something to do with “We Are Hunted”, a music discovery app Twitter recently acquired, and that the app will be iOS only (for now). [Mashable]
[pullquote align=”right”]”Today’s economy… is based primarily on knowledge and ideas — resources that are renewable and available to everyone.. In a knowledge economy, the most important resources are the talented people we educate and attract to our country. A knowledge economy can scale further, create better jobs and provide a higher quality of living for everyone in our nation.” [/pullquote]
2. Leaders from top tech firms (Google, Facebook, Dropbox, Zynga, etc.) have joined together to create FWD.us, a political advocacy group whose main goal is to keep the American workplace competitive. By pooling resources and influence, the group hopes to make inroads in making immigration easier, to encourage and enable those entrepreneurs to stay in this country. Quoting Mark Zuckerberg’s op-ed piece in the Washington Post, he makes some impactful points on our current immigration process and what and how it needs to change. [TechCrunch].
3. Community builder extraordinaire David Spinks has founded Feast, a new spin on cooking classes, and I can’t wait to sign up for one of his classes. Students sign up for four-week classes and are added to an online community where they can share photos of their creations, tips, and get feedback from the chef instructor. [Mashable]
4. LinkedIn purchased news aggregator Pulse for $90 million. According to LinkedIn, the Pulse experience will not change for users, except for a new influencers feed that will be introduced. [Fast Company]
Digital Marketing, Social Media, Branding News
1. Need some proof that brands need to pay attention to mobile? Here are some great stats compiled by Digiday.
2. Building a community? Your behavior has everything to do with it. Think about any community you belong to and why you belong to it. Its because of the behavior of the members, not necessarily the central thing, website, or building that connects you. A great quote out of this article – “community only happens when the brand’s behavior is that which its audience wants to embrace and emulate themselves.” [Social Media Explorer]
3. Just starting out on Twitter? Unsure of how to engage your followers? This infographic has some good guiding principles on best times of day to tweet, how many hashtags to use, how long to keep your tweets, and more. Remember, everyone’s community is slightly different so try things out and see what works best and engages your community the most. [Young Entrepreneur]
4. Content marketers must “think like journalists” – the key point from this AdAge article that focuses on how you should be doing content marketing. Content isn’t about shocking your audience into reacting, or treating your audience like they [AdAge]
2. For some Friday laughs, check out this fattie seal video from BuzzFeed.
What inspired you today?