Happy Leap Day! Today’s brief covers the social consumers, Apple’s iPad event, design influencing behavior, mobile evolution for 2012, Facebook Timeline comes to Pages, Ridley Scott’s latest film, and more. Read on!
1. Its official. Apple’s iPad event will take place on March 7 in San Francisco, where the iPad 3 will most likely be released. Here’s a round-up of all the rumors of what Apple might release. [TechCrunch]
2. Building on Apple’s news, the electronics reseller market saw a crazy influx of requests to sell iPads. Gazelle, for example, saw a 500% increase in 5 hours yesterday of iPad trade-in applications. [Mashable]
3. Facebook Timeline is now coming to a business near you. Facebook just announced that Pages can now upgrade to Timeline, before it becomes mandatory on March 30. [TechCrunch]
4. This is a fantastic infographic of the social consumer, using 4 key examples – Bank of America, GoDaddy, Netflix, and Armani & Versace. [Mashable]
5. Designers influence behavior. Now, while this isn’t (and shouldn’t be) news to anyone, what’s interesting about this article is how designers perceive behavior and irrational behavior, and what they do with it. For example, if you are given a stat that childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years, what do you do with that information? If you change the design of how people view their food, you can influence the behavior of how they eat. Check out the article for some great insights into behavioral thinking in design. [FastCoDesign]
6. Check out the latest apps coming out of Mobile World Congress. While there are a ton of apps on this list, the one that seems the most intriguing is PlayTales, which publishes children’s ebooks across multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) in multiple languages. CoinKeeper is another one that I’ll check out, as there’s no solid competitor to Mint right now, and it’d be nice to have an alternative. [TechCrunch]
7. The world’s highest waterfall, at a staggering 3,212 feet tall, is Angel Falls in Venezuela. Check out these stellar shots from the top of the waterfall. If you have vertigo, click at your own risk. [This is Colossal]
8. How is mobile shaping up for 2012? Here’s a great infographic detailing some of the trends and mobile apps predicted to launch this year. [Visual.ly]
9. Peter Weylend gave a great TED talk on Ridley Scott’s upcoming film, Prometheus. [FastCoCreate]
10. Happy birthday Ja Rule! The rapper was born on February 29, 1976, which makes him 9 years old. Heh. Check out some other famous Leap Day birthdays. [International Business Times]
That’s all from me today. Submissions and comments below please!