One day left until the weekend! And 22 days to go! And still no snow, although Buffalo keeps getting pounded. What gives?! Have you started shopping for your holiday outfits yet? Holiday parties are upon us!
Here’s what caught my eye this morning:
1. Billionaires (16, to be precise) have pledged to donate their wealth to charity. Donors sign on to the “Giving Pledge”, founded by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, which promotes successful business people to give money to charity. New and current donors include Mark Zuckerberg, Carl Icahn, Steve Case, Mike Bloomberg, and George Lucas: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703493504576007982500939482.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories
3. An update to yesterday’s post about the hackers supporting WikiLeaks. They’ve now taken down a larger number of sites, including Visa, Senator Joe Lieberman, Sarah Palin, and more. As of this morning, all the sites are up and running, but who knows who they will target today: http://mashable.com/2010/12/08/hackers-take-down-visa-com-in-the-name-of-wikileaks/
4. The Winklevoss twins have launched another lawsuit against Mark Zuckerberg, this time claiming that Zuckerberg lied about the true valuation of Facebook, and are demanding more money. What, $65 million isn’t enough?? http://mashable.com/2010/12/09/winklevoss-twins-lawsuit-facebook/
5. Only 8% of online adults have Twitter accounts. This seems low. Some additional findings: more women than men use Twitter, and Twitter users tend to be within 18-29 (no surprise there). This is also the first survey released by Pew Research Center on this topic: http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Twitter-Update-2010/Findings/Overview.aspx
6. Watch this over-the-top video parody of Julian Assange. It is pretty funny. Ignore the foreign language voice-over: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/09/wikileaks-julian-assange-the-hilariously-over-the-top-strange-animated-video/
6A: 10 things about Julian Assange (#3: he’s like a homeless James Bond – what?!): http://bltwy.msnbc.msn.com/politics/10-things-about-julian-assange-9175.gallery
7. Font humor. Sadly, I found this amusing: http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-very-best-of-awful-font-and-typography-humor
8. Coming to a street corner near you, Tide Dry Cleaners! P&G is taking its iconic laundry name to the streets (literally) by launching dry cleaning stores, complete with 24-hour pickup, drive-thrus, and environmentally friendly cleaning methods. Some might say this sounds like the movie “You’ve Got Mail” where Fox Books takes over Shop Around the Corner. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/business/09tide.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=a25
9. This is really sad. A NYTimes reporter visited what she’s named the “worst bathroom in New York”, on 2356 Lorillard Place in the Bronx. As part of a bigger project to report on the city’s worst landlords, this particular story is so sad to read; the inefficiencies of calling 311 and the lack of a landlord giving his building the most basic maintenance: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/the-worst-bathroom-in-new-york/?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=ab1
10. And, I leave you with a final quote for the day: “Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.” – Henry David Thoreau
That’s all for me today. Submissions and suggestions in the comments!